Every time I go to Grocery Outlet, I’m amazed at the cool stuff we find to try. The other day, it was taco inspired hummus with some salsa on the side for a mere $1.50! I couldn’t believe my taste buds. Around here, we’re big fans of hummus since it dresses up just about any vegetable and offers a big protein punch. We made short work of the stuff, and I vowed to come up with a hummus recipe so we could keep eating it.
Hummus is traditionally made with chickpeas, but you can use other beans to create a wider variety of flavors. In this case, we used some pintos I had on hand from my perpetual habit of soaking wayyy too many beans for one meal. I always make those extras into some form of hummus-y goodness and cook them in a second crockpot:
“Let’s eat beans with every meal!”
You know you’ve got it stuck in your head now.
Ahem. Back to our recipe. Carb counts are for the total amount of each ingredient, we’ll calculate individual servings later.
Taco Flavored Hummus
- 2 cups cooked and drained navy beans (95 carbs, 38 fiber)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (2 carbs, 0 fiber)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (.56 carbs, .10 fiber)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (0 carbs, 0 fiber)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (2.68 carbs, 1.9 fiber)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (1.47 carbs, .6 fiber)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (.93 carbs, .2 fiber)
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt (0 carbs, 0 fiber)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (2.25 carbs, .3 fiber)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (.69 carbs, .4 fiber)
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until a smooth consistency is achieved. Add approximately one part of your favorite salsa to two parts of this hummus mix and serve with chips or veggies.
Total carbs for the recipe, minus salsa (about 2 carbs, .7 fiber per 2 tbsp, check yours), comes to 105.58. Total fiber is 41.5 grams. Total volume is 2.35 cups, each serving is .25 cups, so each serving has 11.23 grams of carbs and 4.41 grams of fiber.
Pro tip: You can achieve basically the same result with canned beans and taco seasoning, blended together with the wet ingredients (vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil).